On-Page SEO Techniques That’ll Boost Your Rankings
On page SEO is one of the most important processes you can use, not only for achieving better rankings but also for running successful Internet marketing campaigns. Every SEO campaign has your website in focus and if it’s not properly optimized for both search engines and users, your chances of success are minimized.
Before getting into the details on which SEO techniques to use to improve your on-site SEO, let’s start with some basic terminology.
What is Search Engine Optimization?
Search Engine Optimization or SEO in short, is a term that encapsulates everything you need to do to improve your website’s ranking position in the various search engines.
This includes configuration settings you can apply to your website (that’s on page SEO) and techniques you can use outside the boundaries of the website (that’s off page SEO).
What is On-Page SEO?
On-page SEO is the process of optimizing each and every web page of your site in order to rank higher in the Search Engine Results Pages (SERPS). On-Page SEO has to do with both technical SEO (titles, descriptions, urls etc) and the content of your web pages. Your ultimate goal with on-page SEO, is to speak the ‘search engines language’ and help crawlers understand the meaning and context of your pages.
What is Off-Page SEO?
Off-page SEO is about link building and other signals you can give to search engines to convince them about the quality and usefulness of your website. Read what is off-page SEO for the exact details.
Is on-page SEO more important than off-page SEO?
To achieve maximum exposure in the search engines and keep your users happy you need both off-page SEO and on-page SEO.
In my opinion on page SEO is more important (at least for new websites), and I will explain below why.
1) ‘Speak’ the search engines language: It makes more sense to start with on-page SEO and get it right rather than trying to convince search engines to give you better ranking with off page SEO.
Search engines are computer programs (software) and they understand a particular language. With SEO and especially on page SEO, you ‘speak’ their language and your goal is to help them understand what you website is about.
In other words the more signals you can give them, the greater are your chances of achieving better rankings.
2) On Page SEO is about the user as well: Never forget that your primary goal is to keep your users happy.
Off Page SEO may bring traffic to the website but if it is not setup correctly or if it is not user friendly, the results will be disappointing.
3) Many websites get it wrong: It’s amazing but it is true that the majority of websites today are not optimized for search engines.
Despite the plethora of information about SEO, many website owners believe that it does not worth to try SEO and they quit before starting.
For those cases on-page SEO has a lot to offer both in terms of usability and also in terms of traffic.
4) On Page SEO is sometimes all you need: If you are running a website for a small business and you need to get local customers searching for various terms on Google then on page SEO is all you might need to do.
5) Off page SEO comes after on page SEO: In order to start thinking on how you can promote your website you need to ensure that it is optimized and in good condition. So, the first step is to work with on-site SEO and then go off-site.